The Addiction has become the most popular surf charter boat in the Mentawai Islands for exceptional service and experience. If you are looking for the fastest, high-end boat for your surf trip the Addiction is the perfect choice! It offers the opportunity to surf the kinds of waves you want across all the world class breaks of the Mentawai Islands and rarely surfed destinations all over the Sumatran Island chain.
The Addiction is a spacious, luxurious, and comfortable 24 meter (80 ft) high speed catamaran with an experienced crew ready to take you on the surfing adventure of a lifetime. With over 20 years of combined experience in West Sumatra, their crew are there to get you into the best possible waves on every trip!
A Mentawai Islands boat trip with a group of friends is the best surf trip in the world, period. The Addiction is one of the nicest surf charter boats available in the Mentawai Islands offering a safe and comfortable experience from start to finish. It is not possible to have a better surf trip than a 12 day oceanic journey on the Addiction!
Most Addiction guests fly into Singapore from their respective departure cities. From there you fly from Singapore to Jakarta, Jakarta to Padang, Sumatra. It’s a long haul but well worth the payoff when you arrive. Singapore Airlines is hands down the best carrier; their prices are affordable, they don’t charge for boards, and are known as the best airline in the world.
What is Included?
• Transfers to and from Padang airport
• Use of tender for fishing and exploratory trips ashore
• Use of fishing and snorkling equipment
• Three gourmet meals per day
• Snacks and fruit
• Non-alcoholic refreshments such as bottled water, hot drinks soft drinks and juices
• 24 cans of Bintang per passenger
• Use of onboard entertainment systems including DVD video and stereo
• Use of all MV Addiction onboard equipment and amenities.
What is Not Included?
• Photo Service (always available US$200/person)
• Mentawai Surfer Tax – 100US$ per surfer
• Airline tickets
• Travel Insurance (compulsory for all guests, including medivac coverage and coverage for lost charter days)
• Alcoholic Drinks other than Bintang described above, (Passengers are welcome to stock up on beer at local prices prior to departure). If requested a wine list can be forwarded for passengers wishing to purchase specific wines and spirits before departure. A minimum of 90 days notice is required for specific orders.
• Tips for the crew. Tips typically start around US$50 and up. If you’ve had a really good time and the crew’s been outstanding, let them know! Please give all tips to the captain for dispersal to the crew.
Before Your Trip
1. HOW DO I GET TO INDONESIA?
We recommend that you travel to Padang in Sumatra (port of departure) via Jakarta. World Wave Expeditions can coordinate all flights on your behalf.
2. WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I PACK FOR MY TRIP?
The best advice when packing for a surf trip is to pack as light as possible. This fundamental rule of travel is especially true on a surf charter through the Mentawai Islands – when most of your time is spent in the water.
3. WHAT KIND AND HOW MANY BOARDS SHOULD I TAKE?
Most people bring 2-4 boards. Most people will ride their standard shortboards most of the time but a good idea to follow is to track the swell forecast before your trip and plan accordingly.
4. WHAT TYPE OF HEALTH PRE- CAUTIONS SHOULD I TAKE?
A. Most travelers usually update their tetanus and hepatitis shots before traveling to any remote region of the world. B. Malaria is a reality in some parts of Indonesia including the Mentawai Islands; consult your doctor for more information. C. If you take a prescription medication make sure you bring the necessary paperwork that goes with it in case of an emergency. D. If you are prone to seasickness please bring some- thing to counteract its effects such as dramamine or bonine. E. For more information please consult your doctor.
5. DO I NEED TRAVEL INSURANCE?
Travel Insurance is mandatory for your personal safety. A decent travel insurance package will provide coverage for the following: trip cancellation and interruption, baggage delay, baggage coverage, travel delay, emergency medical and dental, emergency, medical transport and evacuation, and travel accident insurance.
6. WHAT DOCUMENTS DO I NEED TO TAKE?
Citizens of the United States or Australia need a passport with at least six months of validity left and one other form of identification.
7. CAN I BE CONTACTED WHILE I’M ON THE BOAT?
The boat currently carries a satellite phone for emergencies and cell phone coverage is available in some areas.
8. WHAT IS YOUR POLICY ON ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES?
Our operation is drug free. Indonesia has some of the strictest laws against drug use, drug trafficking, drug anything! The Addiction does not condone drug use in any form on our boat – guests who are found to be using drugs on the boat will be asked to leave immediately. It’s just not worth the hassle and trouble! Our policy is simple – no drugs allowed… please.
9. WHAT HAPPENS IF MY FLIGHT IS DELAYED OR MY BOARDS DON’T MAKE IT?
Fortunately we rarely encounter problems with our guests boards. In the rare instance that your boards do not make it we still send the trip out on schedule and potentially make arrangements with another boat to rendezvous with us and drop off your boards. If your flight is delayed we react accordingly. Whatever time you arrive in Padang we’ll be there to pick you up at the airport and take you to the boat.
10. HOW LONG CAN I STAY IN INDONESIA?
Most travelers coming from the US, Australia, and Europe are issued tourist visas upon arrival, but if you carry a passport from other countries it is worthwhile checking to see if you need a visa. The standard tourist VISA is applicable for up to 30 days. If you plan on staying longer in Indonesia you must apply for an extended stay VISA at your local Indonesian Embassy prior to departure or in Singapore.
11. WHAT DOCUMENTS DO I NEED TO TAKE?
Citizens of the United States need a passport with at least six months of validity left and one other form of identification. We require that you send us your passport information including the number, date of issue, and place of issue prior to your departure so we can arrange the necessary harbor permits for your travel through the Mentawais. In case you misplace any vital documents you should also carry a back-up photocopy of your passport, id, and airline ticket with you at all times. It doesn’t hurt to leave another copy at home as well.
When you are in Indonesia you will be issued an immigration form that you must keep until your departure. When you leave they will ask to see it to determine how long you were in Indonesia. Please take care of that form once they give it to you.
The most important thing to remember on this list is to make sure that you have an updated passport and a valid VISA. You will not be permitted to enter Indonesia if your passport is going to expire within six months of your departure or if you are from a country that requires a special VISA to enter. Most people can take care of their VISA upon entering Indonesia including citizens of the United States and Australia but before you purchase your airline tickets please check with your local authori- ties to make sure you’re covered…
12. HOW MUCH MONEY DO I NEED TO TAKE?
Once you get to the boat all you have to focus on is getting as many good waves as possible. Most of our guests bring extra money for the following reasons: A. Traveling Money: $150US B. Souvenir money: $50US C. VISA money: $25US D. Money for tipping the staff: $75 – $? Please bring crisp, new bills if you plan to use spending money inside Indonesia.
13. IS THERE A PHOTOGRAPHER AVAILABLE FOR MY TRIP?
Please contact us for details about photography on your trip and updated availability
14. WHAT IS THE VOLTAGE ON THE BOAT?
Boats voltage is 240V AC 50 Hertz so make sure any battery chargers etc you have are suitable. Electrical sockets on board are the 3 pin Australian type. We have some adapters on board but bring your own if you want to be sure.
15. DO YOU HAVE FISHING AND/ OR DIVING GEAR ON THE BOATS? We have some fishing equipment on board, but if you are a keen fisherman bring some of your own lures and maybe your own casting rod. If you’d like to snorkel please bring your own equipment for sanitary reasons. If you must bring a spear gun there is a risk of it being confiscated by customs. We suggest you break it into it’s components and separate them in your baggage.
The Addiction is an impressive 80 foot catamaran designed for speed and capable of traveling up to 28 knots when conditions warrant. This speed equals more time surfing and less time traveling between spots.
The sheer size of the Addiction means more room to spread out and relax. The boat features 5 guest cabins, a huge saloon area, 2 large outdoor chill areas to watch the surf, and a large dining area with seating for 12!
The Addiction package includes all transfers, surf guide, three gourmet meals per day, snacks, fruit, bot- tled water, hot drinks, juices, soft drinks, and use of all MV Addiction onboard equipment and amenities.
What is the experience like on an Addiction boat trip? For most people it consists of three things, surfing, eating, and sleeping! This section answers a multitude of questions we hear from our guests about “Life Onboard.
1. WHAT ARE THE WAVES LIKE IN THE MENTAWAI ISLANDS?
The Mentawai Islands are blessed with some of the most consistent, user friendly surf in the world. Waves range from friendly and rippable to downright scary.
2. IS THERE A GENERAL CODE OF CONDUCT I SHOULD FOL- LOW DURING MY STAY?
They work hard to give you the best experience possible. The following list offers a quick glance at the do’s and don’ts of boat living in the Mentawais
• Feel free to ask our staff any questions at anytime or for anything you need.
• If you’re hungry tell someone.
• Please smoke in designated areas only – outside only.
• Do your best to keep wet clothes outside.
• Point out problems or potential problems to the staff.
• No drugs allowed.
• Keep your belongings in designated areas. Always use proper surf etiquette.
• Conserve as much water as possible – please take short showers.
• Always look out for other people. Put trash where it belongs.
• Housecleaning is everyday unless you request otherwise.
• If your towels are dirty, please leave them on the floor and we will give you fresh ones.
• When you arrive we will give you one big bottle of water, please refill it as much as you’d like.
• Please use sunscreen, nothing can ruin your vacation more than a sunburn.
• Please share waves with the guests from the charter boats.
3. CAN I MAKE A PHONE CALLS AT THE ON THE BOATS?
The boat currently use a variety of ways to stay in touch with the outside world. They offer a satellite phones for emergencies and cell phone coverage is available at some anchorages. They do not have an internet connection.
4. WHAT SHOULD WE DO IN CASE OF AN EARTHQUAKE OR TSUNAMI?
The boat only anchors in areas they deem to be safe in case of a significant earthquake. If you feel an earth- quake please alert the members of our staff onboard.
5. WHAT IS THE DINING EXPERIENCE LIKE ONBOARD?
They offer full meals ranging from local Indonesian dishes to pasta plates, pizza, chicken and of course fresh fish. We consider every meal extremely important to give you the energy you need to surf all day. Addiction trips are famous for their food which is prepared by professional chefs! There is a set schedule for meals so you don’t have to wonder what time you eat.
6. WHAT TIME ARE MEALS SERVED?
For early-birds, there is cereal, fruit salad, and toasts available in the main galley.
BREAKFAST – 6:00am – 8:00am
LUNCH – 12:30pm – 2:30pm
DINNER – 7:30pm – 8:30 pm
7. WHAT TYPES OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ARE AVAILABLE?
Beer is available for all guests.
8. WHAT OTHER TYPES OF ACTIVITIES ARE AVAILABLE ONBOARD?
We’ve got dvd’s, boardgames, books, diving gear, fishing gear, snorkeling gear, a ton of great extras to keep you occupied. The primary emphasis is on surfing, eating, and sleeping.
9. HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE STAFF WHEN MY TRIP FINISHES?
This is entirely up to you. The aver- age tip starts at around $50US and goes up from there; if you’ve had a great time, the staff did a wonderful job and were accommo- dating, let them know how you feel
10. CAN I CELEBRATE A SPECIAL OCCASION ON THE BOAT?
Hopefully with enough advanced notice we can accommodate any and all requests.
The Addiction offers full meals ranging from local Indonesian dishes to pasta plates, pizza, chicken and of course fresh fish. They consider every meal extremely important to give you the energy you need to surf all day. Addiction trips are famous for their food which is prepared by professional chefs. There is a set schedule for meals so you don’t have to wonder what time you eat.
The local climate is considered tropical, hot, and humid with a temperature range between 70 – 90 degrees Fahrenheit or 21 – 32 degrees Celsius.
THE WATER temperature is always around 85 degrees (29 degrees Celsius) no matter what time of year you visit.
THE LOCAL LANDSCAPE is dense, tropical forest with four main islands and dozens of auxil- iary islands – sprinkled with a few main coastal villages throughout.
THE DRY SEASON in this area spans from February to September and the wet season typically occurs between October – January. At any time of the year however expect regular rainfall in short intervals – heavy at times.
LOCAL WINDS surrounding this region are variable throughout most of the year but occasion- ally go through intermittent periods of storminess, called “Badai’s”. Mentawais lies exactly 1 degree below the Equator and as a result is not influenced by the steady easterly trade winds often associ- ated with the rest of Indonesia – that’s what makes this area so unique!
• Type of vessel: Catamaran 24m (80ft)
• Beam: 7.9m (26ft)
• Draft: 1.7m (5.6ft)
• Top Speed: 26 Kts laden
• Service Speed: 24 Kts
• Built: 1997 by Sabre Catamarans, Australia
• Complete refit: 2006
• Designer: Sabre Catamarans
• Main engine/s: 2 x MTU 8V M92 (Brand new for 2008)
• Power: 2 x 965 Hp (720 Kw)
• Auxiliary: 2 x Perkins
• Generator: 2 x 30 Kva
• Fuel Capacity: 4 x 2500 L
• Water Capacity: 900 L
• Water Maker: 100 litre/hr
• Tender 1: 4.2 m (14ft) RIB with 60hp mariner engine and center console steering w/ power trim and oil injection
Terms and Conditions
• Deposit required to confirm your whole boat booking is $8000 USD or $1000 USD per person.
• The standard trip price is for 10 people only. The Addiction can take an extra 2 people (max of 12) for $4000 USD per extra person.
• Telo or Nias fuel surcharge: $3000 USD
• Final balance is due 90 days before sailing
• No refunds of deposits or payments unless boat does not sail. In the case of cancellation payments may be refunded at the discretion of Addiction Surfing.
• Travel insurance with inclusion for Medivac is MANDATORY; details of Policy- Insurance Company and contact details to be forward to Addiction Surfing 30 days before departure.
• A current passport with 6 months validity from date of entry to Indonesia required.
• Absolutely no drugs of any kind tolerated. Foreigners caught with drugs may face capital punishment or life imprisonment.