Monkeys is an all inclusive barefoot luxury resort option in the Telo Islands. Set in the southern reaches of the archipelago construction was completed in early 2018 by the legendary Mark Byrne and as far as the southern Telos are concerned, Monkeys is incomparable in both comfort and quality.
Four private, air-conditioned bungalows with king sized beds, and dining pavilion, are set in a bay that can only be described as classic Indonesian.
The resort’s home break and namesake is located at the mouth of the bay in front of the resort. With another 14 options within a 25 minutes by boat radius; Monkeys is a trip for surfers looking for a remote corner of Indonesia and prefer less people around. It is comfortable, understated, and harmonizes beautifullywith its stunning surroundings.
Situated off the west coast of Sumatra, and almost directly on the equator, Monkeys is ensconced in an archipelago known as “Kepulan Batu”, “Pulau Pulau Batu” or, more simply, the Telo islands.
With the Mentawai islands to the south, and Nias to the north, the islands in this group are unlike any in Sumatra, and are often compared to the dramatic cliff islands of Thailand, or the smaller islands in the Seychelles.
Due to this remote location – and the fact it can only be accessed conveniently by private boat – The Telos remain largely unspoiled by the rampant development in most parts of Indonesia.
More importantly, the Telo Islands deliver a broad spectrum of waves for all surfers of all ability levels. Combined with a unique culture, a small resort vibe, great food, an experienced team, and unparalleled customer service Monkeys has everything you need!
Flights typically are routed through either Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia or Singapore.
From any of these locations, you are then flown to the north Sumatran city of Padang, Indonesia, where you will be met by our representative at the airport.
Depending on your arrival time, you’ll be taken to a local hotel for an overnight stay.
The next morning the speedboat to Monkeys takes about 4 hours. They should have you in the surf around 12:00pm. The first order of business however is a briefing on surf safety and basic procedures.
On the final day of your package you’ll check out of The Resort at 12:00pm. The speed-boat transfer to Padang will have you cready to depart Padang after 7:30pm to be safe.
Monkeys South Telo is a classic surf resort creation. Comfortable, understated and harmonising with the stunning surrounds.
Four private bungalows and central dining / socialising pavillion. A bank of high performance solar panels help power the aircon and make Monkeys’ already light footprint even more sustainable. It’s all designed to maximise the outlook to this spectacular and remote stretch of coast.
Monkeys South Telo features four generously-sized private villas (each with a king-sized bed and two day beds) and ocean views.
All villas feature air-conditioning and en-suite facilities.
Rooms are serviced daily, with complimentary laundry service.
- AC and en-suite bathrooms In all rooms
- King sized beds with two day beds
- Daily housekeeping
- Satellite television in main lodge
- Satellite phone is available for guest use
- Satellite WiFi is available across the property
- Complimentary laundry service
- Full-service bar
The cuisine at Monkeys South Telo is based on authentic Indonesian culinary traditions with just the right amount of western indulgence thrown in.
- Meals are all-inclusive – with the exception of select alcoholic beverages.
- They are able to provide a menu based on any dietary requirements requested prior to arrival.
- Meals vary between buffet and table service, shared in the company of other guests.
- And be sure to save room for dessert!
What times are meals served?
For early-birds, there is cereal, fruit salad, and toasts available in the restaurant.
Breakfast – 6:30am – 10:30am
Please order with the bartender.
Lunch – 12:30pm – 2:30pm
Dinner – 7:30pm – 8:30 pm
What type of alcoholic beverages are available?
Beer is available for all of our guests, a variety of hard alcohol, wine, and mixed drinks will also be available for purchase when available.
At Monkeys, they provide a wide range of activities and services beyond the epic surf, all suitable for your family. Complementary lodge features include sea kayaks, snorkeling gear, fishing equipment, excursions, games, river tours, laundry, surfboard repair, extensive book library and much more.
Optional services include professional photo services, massage services, SAT phone, broadband Wi-Fi, guided translation services and much more.
Fishing isn’t the main reason you’ve come to Monkeys, but while you’re here, it’s a bit of fun and nothing’s better than fresh sashimi after a day on the water.
No need to bring your own fishing gear, and we’ll even take care of the messy stuff if you’re not a fan of blood & guts.
You’ve surfed, you’ve eaten, you’ve chilled, caught up with your sleep. You’ve had days of waves.
Time for something a bit different. Time for a snorkel!
Time to check out what goes on under that aqua carpet we spend so much time sliding around on top of!
Whether you’re a dedicated enthusiast, an opportunistic part-timer, or a curious first-timer, you’ll find our friendly, uncrowded waves are ideal for stand-up paddle-boarding.
With the incredible surf at our disposal, it’s easy to overlook some of the other features of the area that make this place so special.
One of the more memorable activites here has got to be the Monkeys River Cruise, where they take a trusty boat upriver and channel.
Up to four different species of Monkey can be spotted.
It’s a hit of nature and adventure that’s highly recommended.
- Meet and greet in Padang (includes porters).
- Return transfers out to Monkeys.
- All surf transfers are included in your package and will be carried out in the comfort of super-fast speedboats.
- Alcoholic beverages are available at the fully serviced bar.
- Access and uninterrupted views to the only resort- front break in the region.
- Three meals per day prepared by island chefs; should you have special dietary requirements please let us know in advance and we are more than happy to cater specifically for them.
- Use of all equipment and facilities at Monkeys, including fishing and snorkeling equipment, ping-pong, DVD with a huge selection of movies, CD player, SatTV, magazines, books, laundry service and much more.
- Unlimited drinking water.
- Complimentary hospitality offerings include fresh fruit such as bananas, watermelon, mandarins, apples or papaya, as well as tea, coffee, fruit juice and water. Attentive staff will attend to your needs at a moment’s notice.
- They offer a complimentary surfboard repair service but ask you do tip the staff member who has carried out the repair.
The local climate is considered tropical, hot, and humid with a temperature range between 70 – 90 degrees Fahrenheit or 21 – 32 degrees Celsius. The water temperature is always around 80 degrees (27 degrees Celsius) no matter what time of year you visit. The local landscape is dense, tropical forest with four main islands and dozens of auxiliary islands – sprinkled with a few main coastal villages throughout. The dry season in this area spans from February to September and the wet season typically occurs between October – January. At any time of the year however expect regular rainfall in short intervals – heavy at times. Local winds surrounding the resort are variable throughout most of the year but occasionally go through intermittent periods of storminess, called “Badai’s”. Pinnacle on Telo lies almost exactly on the Equator and as a result is not influenced by the steady easterly trade winds often associated with the rest of Indonesia – that’s what makes this area so unique!
Surfer: $5,200 AUD per 9 day trip
Non-Surfer: $2,800 AUD per 9 day trip
50% deposit required to confirm the booking with the balance due 90 days before the trip starts.
What documents do I need to take?
- A passport with at least six months of validity remaining, including a valid visa (most passport holders can apply for a visa on arrival at $35 USD) and one other form of identification
- 2 x COLOR photocopies of your passport (photo page)
- Airline tickets
- Travel insurance information, itinerary and other travel documents
- In case you misplace any vital documents you should also carry a back-up photocopy of your passport, I.D, and airline ticket with you at all times. It doesn’t hurt to leave another copy at home as well
Do I need travel insurance?
Yes – ALL guests must have full comprehensive travel and medical insurance and should include at least a MedEvac option, and compensation for lost charter days due to unforeseen circumstances or emergencies.
How much cash will I need to bring, and in what currency?
You will only need a small amount of cash during your stay including:
- $35 USD cash to purchase an Indonesian tourist visa on arrival
- Indonesian rupiah for Airport Departure tax (200,000 rupiahs for international departures & 75,000 rupiahs for domestic departure).
- Indonesian rupiah or credit card for personal telephone calls, additional meals, snacks & drinks in transit or transit accommodation.
- Visa or MasterCard credit card to pay for any additional services at Pinnacles on Telo
Do I need to take Malaria medication?
It is a matter of personal choice whether to take anti-malarial medication.
Malaria is present in the region and we take the matter very seriously. Whether you choose to take a prophylaxis or not, we strongly urge all our guests to wear repellent at dawn and evenings.
All guest beds are netted, the lodge fully screened, and the grounds are fogged regularly.
Are there any other health risks?
When traveling to any remote region in the world, most travelers will usually update their tetanus and hepatitis shots. Malaria is a reality in some parts of Indonesia. We suggest you consult your doctor for the right preventative treatment, which you may be required to start some weeks before you arrive. Should you be taking any prescription medication, please ensure you bring the necessary paperwork that goes with it in case of an emergency.
Do I need to bring my own laptop?
Monkeys provides a guest computer which is available in the main lounge. Should you need to work while you are away or don’t want to wait to use the computer, we strongly recommend you bring your own laptop or tablet.
Will I be able to check my emails?
Yes! If you have not brought your own laptop or smart phone, then you can access the lodge’s guest computer at anytime. There is wireless internet access available throughout Monkeys, which is charged out at a nominal fee. Their staff will issue you with codes to use at your leisure.
How many boards should I bring?
We suggest limiting to a maximum of 3 boards per person. The normal board you ride at home is fine and perhaps a slightly larger semi-gun. Remember to bring 1 x extra leg ropes, 1 x cloth cover to protect your boards in the boats and 1 x block of tropical surf wax. Should have questions on which boards are best for the surrounding waves, please let us know and we can provide some recommendations, as well as equipment purchase options prior to your trip.
Can I bring my own alcohol?
Guests can bring alcohol at their own risk, but note due to our full liquor license the local government has informed us that if during a random inspection undocumented liquor is found on the premises we are subject to a minimum 5 million rupiah fine, which we will pass along to the guest.
Can you give me an idea of how many other people I’ll be surfing with?
The aim is to spend the majority of trips surfing with just the people staying at the Lodge (maximum 8 surfers). This is not always possible, but there are plenty of waves in this area and due to their extensive experience we know how to be in the right place at the right time. While it’s inevitable that we’ll come across other surfers from time to time, rest assured you will get plenty of waves.
Due to medical or personal reasons I follow a special diet. Can you accommodate this?
Yes, with prior notification (minimum four weeks) we can accommodate most dietary requests.