Situated on a 50-acre uninhabited private island containing one of the Telos’ finest surf breaks, Pinnacles on Telo is the culmination of unrivaled experience, the ultimate expression of ambition, all designed around a unique resort focused on barefoot luxury.
Pinnacles on Telo delivers a multitude of fun-sized surf breaks in the near vicinity. Using their vast knowledge of the region and understanding of guests’ needs, they have designed a next-level operation that incorporates the unpretentious, limited small resort model with the look, feel and meticulous design detail expected of a full-service, private island retreat. Few places on Earth provide a more peaceful, private and naturally stunning escape surrounded by high quality waves.
The main lodge includes a restaurant, bar, and infinity edge pool, While the grounds (we’re talking fruit trees, hydroponic garden, lush lawn space, the ubiquitous palms) unfold to a spectacular private beach.
The operation offers numerous activities catering to non-surfing guests, including cooking classes in their open demonstration kitchen, a full spa, massage, yoga, games, and of course a full compliment of snorkeling gear, SUPs, kayaks, and even a sunfish or two for those who know how to sail.
Online Booking Calendar
HOW TO USE THE CALENDAR
• You can now check availability at Pinnacles on Telo using the online reservation calendar.
• Navigate to your desired dates and click the date to open up the reservation detail page.
• Fill out all of the required information including your credit card information. This will “hold” your booking.
• Once we can double check your requested dates are open we will contact you and make plans to charge 25% of the booking total on the same card used to hold the reservation.
• You will receive confirmation and the next set of instructions once the deposit payment has processed.
PINNACLES ON TELO RATES – PER PERSON IN AUD (4 BUNGALOWS TOTAL)
• September 25, 2018 – March 4, 2019: $6,050 Per Surfer / $3,000 Per Non Surfer
• March 4, 2019 – April 3, 2019: $7,095 Per Surfer / $3,550 Per Non Surfer
• April 3 – May 3, 2019: $7,205 Per Surfer / $3,600 Per Non Surfer
• May 3, 2019 – August 1, 2019: $7,315 Per Surfer / $3,650 Per Non Surfer
• August 1 – 31, 2019 : $7,205 Per Surfer / $3,600 Per Non Surfer
• August 31, 2019 – October 30, 2019 : $6,930 Per Surfer / $3465 Per Non Surfer
• October 30, 2019 – December 9, 2019 : $6,050 Per Surfer / $3,000 Per Non Surfer
ONLINE DEPOSIT AND FINAL PAYMENT TERMS
• Deposit required to “hold” your booking is US$0 PER PERSON. All that is required is to fill in the required information and include your credit card information. This will put a hold on the dates you want and give us an opportunity to make sure the spaces you have reserved are still open.
• Once we can confirm the availability an additional deposit up to 25% of the total price is required to confirm your booking. Deposits are non-refundable.
• The final balance is due 90 days before the trip starts and is non-refundable.
• Travel insurance with inclusion for Medivac is mandatory; details of Policy- Insurance Company and contact details to be forward to World Wave Expeditions 30 days before departure.
• A current passport with 6 months validity from date of entry to Indonesia required.
• Bookings made inside of 90 days require full payment within 7 days of confirmation.
• Meet and greet in Medan (includes porters).
• Return transfers out to Telo Island.
• All surf transfers are included in your package and will be carried out in the comfort of super-fast speedboats.
• Alcoholic beverages are available at the fully serviced bar.
• Access and uninterrupted views to the only resort- front break in the region.
• Three meals per day prepared by island chefs; should you have special dietary requirements please let us know in advance and we are more than happy to cater specifically for them.
• Use of all equipment and facilities at Pinnacles on Telo, including fishing and snorkeling equipment, ping-pong, DVD with a huge selection of movies, CD player, SatTV, magazines, books, laundry service and much more.
• Unlimited drinking water.
• Complimentary hospitality offerings include fresh fruit such as bananas, watermelon, mandarins, apples or papaya, as well as tea, coffee, fruit juice and water. Attentive staff will attend to your needs at a moment’s notice.
• They offer a complimentary surfboard repair service but ask you do tip the staff member who has carried out the repair.
• Also included in this package is the expert knowledge of your Australian guides who have been living and surfing in this part of Indonesia for almost 20 years!
Situated off the west coast of Sumatra, and almost directly on the equator, Pinnacles on Telo is ensconced in an archipelago known as “Kepulan Batu”, “Pulau Pulau Batu” or, more simply, the Telo islands.
With the Mentawai islands to the south, and Nias to the north, the islands in this group are unlike any in Sumatra, and are often compared to the dramatic cliff islands of Thailand, or the smaller islands in the Seychelles.
Due to this remote location – and the fact it can only be accessed conveniently by private aircraft – The Telos remain largely unspoiled by the rampant development in most parts of Indonesia.
More importantly, the Telo Islands deliver a broad spectrum of waves for all surfers of all ability levels. Combined with a unique culture, a small resort vibe, great food, an experienced team, and unparalleled customer service Pinnacles on Telo has everything you need!
Flights typically are routed through either Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia or Singapore.
From any of these locations, you are then flown to the north Sumatran city of Medan, Indonesia, where you will be met by our representative at the Medan airport.
Depending on your arrival time, you’ll either be taken to the JW Marriott for an overnight stay or transferred directly to our Grand Caravan charter aircraft for departure to Pinnacles on Telo.
When you’ve arrived in Medan and cleared immigration you’ll be approached by the porter and asked if you are a guest of Pinnacles on Telo. Their porters will assist in collecting your bags and exiting customs, and will carry your luggage out to meet the ground agent as you exit the airport. Their agent, Boraspati Express Tours, will be waiting for you with a clearly marked uniform & “Pinnacles on Telo” signage. The porters are pre-paid by Pinnacles on Telo and there is no need to pay for this service.
Arrival in Medan
From here, the agent will transfer you and your luggage over to the domestic terminal (or to your hotel if you are staying overnight) where you will check in for the Susi Air flight to Pulau Telo (estimated time of departure 12:00pm). Should you be arriving a day early and require accommodation in Medan, their agent will pick you up from the airport on arrival and transfer you to your hotel. They will then arrange a time to pick you up again the following morning to transfer you to domestic terminal in time for the 12:00pm departure to Pulau Telo.
Medan to Telo
The flight to Palau Telo takes just over an hour and a half. You will be met at Pulau Telo airport by management of Pinnacles on Telo and a quick speedboat transfer to Pinnacles on Telo (15 minutes) will have you in the surf by around 3:00pm. The first order of business however is a briefing on surf safety and basic procedures.
On the final day of your package you’ll check out of The Resort at 12:00pm. The speed-boat transfer to Pulau Telo airport will have you checking in for your flight back to Medan soon thereafter. The agent will meet you on arrival in Medan and assist with transferring you to either your departing flight (we recommend you do not book an onward flight from Medan earlier than 7.00pm.) or to your hotel for the night. If overnighting, their agent will arrange a time to pick you up from the hotel the following morning and transfer you to the airport for your departing flight.
The main lodge area is the hub, heart and soul of Pinnacles. It incorporates a dining pavillion, bar and infinity pool.
The eight villas are connected to the main lodge by a walkway that winds out through lush lawn space, complete with palm trees and tropical plants. And of course it all fronts on to a glorious private beach.
At time of writing (early 2018) we’re building our range of activities catering to non-surfing guests, including: cooking classes in our open demo kitchen; wellness therapies (such as massage, yoga, etc); games (such as bocce, volleyball, table tennis etc) and of course a full complement of ocean equipment: snorkeling gear, SUPs, kayaks, etc.
Pinnacles on Telo features eight private air-conditioned bungalows (each with a king-sized bed and two day beds) and ocean views from every place in the room. Designed by highly regarded BAR Architects of San Francisco with interiors curated by New York’s High Line Collective, all rooms feature air-conditioning and en-suite facilities, with 24/7 WiFi. Rooms are serviced twice daily, with complimentary laundry service. Importantly, they along with the Telo Island Lodge are the only land-based surf lodges in North Sumatra with a tsunami escape zone three meters from the main building, ensuring a level of safety not available in any other surf tourism facility in the region.
- AC and en-suite bathrooms In all rooms
- King sized beds with two day beds
- 2x daily housekeeping
- Satellite television in main lodge
- Satellite phone is available for guest use
- Satellite WiFi is available across the property
- Complimentary laundry service
- Full-service bar
The cuisine at Pinnacles on Telo has been tailored to provide an authentic Indonesian culinary experience, while the chosen ingredients emphasize fresh, healthy, super food / performance enhancing nourishment to maintain peak energy levels during the adventure. Meals are all-inclusive – with the exception of select alcoholic beverages. Their Chef and his staff have a suite of unique, signature dishes at the ready. They are also able to provide a menu based on dietary requirements (requested prior to arrival.)
The guest concierge will contact you prior to the trip to personalize all food and beverage needs so no detail is overlooked. Meals vary between buffet and table service, shared in the company of other guests. Feel free to dine in the dining room or one of the al fresco areas of the resort. And be sure to save room for their hand-crafted desserts!
What times are meals served?
For early-birds, there is cereal, fruit salad, and toasts available in the restaurant.
Breakfast – 6:30am – 10:30am
Please order with the bartender.
Lunch – 12:30pm – 2:30pm
Dinner – 7:30pm – 8:30 pm
What type of alcoholic beverages are available?
Beer is available for all of our guests, a variety of hard alcohol, wine, and mixed drinks will also be available for purchase when available.
At Pinnacles on Telo, they provide a wide range of activities and services beyond the epic surf, all suitable for your family. Complementary lodge features include sea kayaks, snorkeling gear, fishing equipment, excursions, games, village eco tours, cooking classes, stand-up paddle boards, laundry, surfboard repair, extensive book library and much more.
Optional services include professional photo services, massage services, SAT phone, broadband Wi-Fi, official apparel, guided translation services and much more.
Infinity Pool and Bar
Pinnacles on Telo will feature a beautiful infinity pool for fun with the family and relaxing between surfs. Full-service bar will be within a hand’s wave featuring local island fruits, smoothies, snacks, and alcoholic drinks.
If you would like to learn some culture of Indonesia in a form that you can bring home to your friends, spend an afternoon taking one of our open-air-kitchen cooking classes with our master chef.
Health and Spa Treatments
They have massage treatments to soothe the active body and mind. They also offer preventive maintenance to help you take advantage of your full trip, or recover from an injury. Or just relax and take a session off while everyone else goes for a surf.
They take their fishing pretty seriously and offer everything from light game fishing (targeting species such as Sail fish, Spanish mackerel, Wahoo and Tuna), to popper casting (for GT’s) to regular trolling that gets results with everything from Coral Trout to Tuna.
With good coral reefs and a limited commercial fishery, the Telo Islands are a snorkeler’s dream, and some of their less-known locations boast everything from giant napoleon wrasse to small dwarf angel fish. Pinnacle on Telo supplies all the equipment you need.
Whether you’re a dedicated enthusiast, an opportunistic part-timer, or a curious first-timer, you’ll find our friendly, uncrowded waves are ideal for stand-up paddle-boarding.
If you’re keen to explore the island, there’s a variety of options: visit an ancient mangrove forest, explore island terrestrial caves or volunteer in the village school for a day. Just let us know and theye’ll arrange everything.
- Meet and greet in Medan (includes porters).
- Return transfers out to Telo Island.
- All surf transfers are included in your package and will be carried out in the comfort of super-fast speedboats.
- Alcoholic beverages are available at the fully serviced bar.
- Access and uninterrupted views to the only resort- front break in the region.
- Three meals per day prepared by island chefs; should you have special dietary requirements please let us know in advance and we are more than happy to cater specifically for them.
- Use of all equipment and facilities at Pinnacles on Telo, including fishing and snorkeling equipment, ping-pong, DVD with a huge selection of movies, CDplayer, SatTV, magazines, books, laundry service and much more.
- Unlimited drinking water.
- Complimentary hospitality offerings include fresh fruit such as bananas, watermelon, mandarins, apples or papaya, as well as tea, coffee, fruit juice and water. Attentive staff will attend to your needs at a moment’s notice.
- They offer a complimentary surfboard repair service but ask you do tip the staff member who has carried out the repair.
- Also included in this package is the expert knowledge of your Australian guides who have been living and surfing in this part of Indonesia for almost 20 years!
The local climate is considered tropical, hot, and humid with a temperature range between 70 – 90 degrees Fahrenheit or 21 – 32 degrees Celsius. The water temperature is always around 80 degrees (27 degrees Celsius) no matter what time of year you visit. The local landscape is dense, tropical forest with four main islands and dozens of auxiliary islands – sprinkled with a few main coastal villages throughout. The dry season in this area spans from February to September and the wet season typically occurs between October – January. At any time of the year however expect regular rainfall in short intervals – heavy at times. Local winds surrounding the resort are variable throughout most of the year but occasionally go through intermittent periods of storminess, called “Badai’s”. Pinnacle on Telo lies almost exactly on the Equator and as a result is not influenced by the steady easterly trade winds often associated with the rest of Indonesia – that’s what makes this area so unique!
Please inquire. Rates vary by date.
50% deposit required to confirm the booking with the balance due 90 days before the trip starts.
What documents do I need to take?
- A passport with at least six months of validity remaining, including a valid visa (most passport holders can apply for a visa on arrival at $35USD) and one other form of identification
- 2 x COLOR photocopies of your passport (photo page)
- Airline tickets
- Travel insurance information, itinerary and other travel documents
- In case you misplace any vital documents you should also carry a back-up photocopy of your passport, I.D, and airline ticket with you at all times. It doesn’t hurt to leave another copy at home as well
Do I need travel insurance?
Yes – ALL guests must have full comprehensive travel and medical insurance and should include at least a MedEvac option, and compensation for lost charter days due to unforeseen circumstances or emergencies.
How much cash will I need to bring, and in what currency?
You will only need a small amount of cash during your stay including:
- $35USD cash to purchase an Indonesian tourist visa on arrival
- Indonesian rupiah for Airport Departure tax (200,000 rupiahs for international departures & 75,000 rupiahs for domestic departure).
- Indonesian rupiah or credit card for personal telephone calls, additional meals, snacks & drinks in transit or transit accommodation.
- Visa or MasterCard credit card to pay for any additional services at Pinnacles on Telo
Do I need to take Malaria medication?
It is a matter of personal choice whether to take anti-malarial medication.
Malaria is present in the region and we take the matter very seriously. Whether you choose to take a prophylaxis or not, we strongly urge all our guests to wear repellent at dawn and evenings.
All guest beds are netted, the lodge fully screened, and the grounds are fogged regularly. To date, we have had no reported cases of malaria at Pinnacles on Telo and the best policy is to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes.
Are there any other health risks?
When traveling to any remote region in the world, most travelers will usually update their tetanus and hepatitis shots. Malaria is a reality in some parts of Indonesia. We suggest you consult your doctor for the right preventative treatment, which you may be required to start some weeks before you arrive. Should you be taking any prescription medication, please ensure you bring the necessary paperwork that goes with it in case of an emergency.
Do I need to bring my own laptop?
Pinnacles on Telo provides a guest computer which is available in the main lounge. Should you need to work while you are away or don’t want to wait to use the computer, we strongly recommend you bring your own laptop or tablet.
Will I be able to check my emails?
Yes! If you have not brought your own laptop or smart phone, then you can access the lodge’s guest computer at anytime. There is wireless internet access available throughout Pinnacles on Telo, which is charged out at a fee. Their staff will issue you with codes to use at your leisure.
How many boards should I bring?
We suggest limiting to a maximum of 2 boards per person. The normal board you ride at home is fine and perhaps a slightly larger semi-gun. Your Pinnacles on Telo transfer flight has strict weight restrictions and airlines is only able to load 2 boards per person on this flight. Any excess luggage & boards will be left in Medan. Remember to bring 1 x extra leg ropes, 1 x cloth cover to protect your boards in the boats and 1 x block of tropical surf wax. Should have questions on which boards are best for the surrounding waves, please let us know and we can provide some recommendations, as well as equipment purchase options prior to your trip.
Can I bring my own alcohol?
Guests can bring alcohol at their own risk, but note due to our full liquor license the local government has informed us that if during a random inspection undocumented liquor is found on the premises we are subject to a minimum 5 million rupiah fine, which we will pass along to the guest. Bag inspections are also tightening at the new Medan airport for alcohol. Bring it at your own risk.
Can you give me an idea of how many other people I’ll be surfing with?
The aim is to spend the majority of trips surfing with just the people staying at the lodge (maximum 8 surfers). This is not always possible, but there are plenty of waves in this area and due to their extensive experience we know how to be in the right place at the right time. While it’s inevitable that we’ll come across other surfers from time to time, rest assured you will get plenty of waves.
Due to medical or personal reasons I follow a special diet. Can you accommodate this?
Yes, with prior notification (minimum four weeks) we can accommodate most dietary requests.