Located in northern Mentawai near Playgrounds, the WavePark offers dozens of different waves to choose from for surfers of all abilities.
Enjoy resort comfort on a private tropical island, exclusive to 12 surfers and their families. WavePark Resort in Mentawai provides transfers, accommodation, guiding, food, drink and activities included in your daily price. With guided speedboats transferring guests to over 26 named surf breaks in the area, they’ll get you more waves, more often, with less people in the water. As the first surf resort in the Mentawai Islands hunting waves since 1998, their local surf expertise is unparalleled. Their exceptional personalized service and ideal location will make your trip unforgettable.
Spacious and breezy bungalows will immerse you in the untouched beauty of the Mentawai islands. Relax on a daybed on your private verandah while taking in the sunset and checking out the Hideaways wave. At the bayside bar and restaurant, gather with other guests over meals and relive the day’s adventures through a slideshow prepared by professional photographers. Their chef prepares a varied menu of healthy Western and Asian cuisine, perfect for fueling a high energy vacation.
The WavePark experience will transcend any surf trip you’ve had in the past. Whether you’re a charger, a beginner, or anywhere in between, there is an abundance of waves that will suit your level of surfing. You will definitely go home surfed out.
Get on the plane and leave the rest to WavePark!
Online Booking Calendar
HOW TO USE THE CALENDAR
• You can now check availability at WavePark using the online reservation calendar.
• Navigate to your desired dates and click the date to open up the reservation detail page.
• Fill out all of the required information including your credit card information. This will “hold” your booking.
• Once we can double check your requested dates are open we will contact you and make plans to charge $500 USD on the same card used to hold the reservation.
• You will receive confirmation and the next set of instructions once the deposit payment has processed.
WAVEPARK RATES – PER PERSON IN USD
Regular Season: March 19 – October 25:
10 day trip: $2,450 all-inclusive
11 day trip: $2,695 all-inclusive
Early and Late Season: All Other Dates
8 day trip: $1,600 all-inclusive
15 day trip: $2,800 all-inclusive
• Regular Season rates do not include a $500 per trip fee for private speedboat charter across the 180km channel separating Sumatra and Mentawai. The trip takes 4 hours or less, weather permitting.
• Channel transfers for Early and Late season are by public ferries and already included in the price.
ONLINE DEPOSIT AND FINAL PAYMENT TERMS
• Deposit required to “hold” your booking is US$0 PER PERSON. All that is required is to fill in the required information and include your credit card information. This will put a hold on the dates you want and give us an opportunity to make sure the spaces you have reserved are still open.
• Once we can confirm the availability an additional deposit of $500 USD is required to confirm your booking. Deposits are non-refundable.
• The final balance is due 60 days before the trip starts and is non-refundable.
• Travel insurance with inclusion for Medivac is mandatory; details of Policy- Insurance Company and contact details to be forward to World Wave Expeditions 30 days before departure.
• A current passport with 6 months validity from date of entry to Indonesia required.
• Bookings made inside of 60 days require full payment within 7 days of confirmation.
• Transfers between the Padang airport and hotel in Padang for you and all your luggage in air conditioned comfort
• Tour guide while in Padang, on call 24/7
• Accommodation in one of our 6 WavePark Mentawai Bungalows
• Guided surfing and fishing speedboat service all day, everyday
• 3 meals a day and resort-provided drinks, such as cordial, iced tea, fresh ginger lemongrass, and fresh coconut water
• Exclusive use of our entire private island, which has a maximum capacity of 12 guests at a time
• All WavePark facilities, including ping pong and pool games room, photography platforms, frisbee golf course, and TV/DVD/Digital projector
• Guided activities including snorkeling trips, fishing excursions, stand-up paddleboarding, kayaking and guided coconut plantation tours
• Access to extras such as massage services, full bar, satellite telephone, recording studio, wireless high speed internet, and a full-time resort photographer
• Access to surfing further afield in Telescopes, Scarecrows, and Icelands (Regular season only)
• Mentawai Government’s 10% Hotel tax is included in your daily price
What is not included:
• International flights to and from Padang
• Rp. 1,000,000 Mentawai Government Surfer Tax for 15 days surfing in Mentawai islands (about 75 USD)
• Luggage porter services
• Padang – Mentawai – Padang speedboat transfer ($500 USD)
• Any transport aside from airport – hotel – harbor
• Alcoholic drinks and canned beverages
• Food and hotel accommodation while staying in Padang
Located in northern Mentawai near Playgrounds, the WavePark offers 26 different waves to choose from that they have designated beginner, intermediate and advanced.
They have extensive knowledge of Mentawai waves as well as local weather conditions built up from a combined 31 years of experience. With unrivaled speed and comfort between lineups you will get better surf, more often with less people around. They are also the only resort to regularly travel inter-island to look for waves. With their new speedboat service, you’ll be able to reach Telescopes, Scarecrows, Icelands and other nooks and crannies on the north coast of Sipora, over 20 nautical miles away, all included during the regular season!
Normally guests fly to Padang through Kuala Lumpur (AirAsia) or Jakarta (Garuda). As of Feb. 18th, there is also a direct flight Singapore – Padang (AirAsia), but we’re not sure how long that route will last. Depending on your schedule and budget, we can help you find the option that works best for you.
Your All-Inclusive Price Includes:
- Transfers between the Padang airport and hotel in Padang for you and all your luggage in air conditioned comfort
- Tour guide while in Padang, on call 24/7
- Accommodation in one of our 6 WavePark Mentawai Bungalows
- Guided surfing and fishing speedboat service all day, everyday
3 meals a day and resort-provided drinks, such as cordial, iced tea, fresh ginger lemongrass, and fresh coconut water
- Exclusive use of our entire private island, which has a maximum capacity of 12 guests at a time
- All WavePark facilities, including ping pong and pool games room, photography platforms, frisbee golf course, and TV/DVD/Digital projector
- Guided activities including snorkeling trips, fishing excursions, stand-up paddleboarding, kayaking and guided coconut plantation tours
- Access to extras such as massage services, full bar, satellite telephone, recording studio, wireless high speed internet, and a full-time resort photographer
- Access to surfing further afield in Telescopes, Scarecrows, and Icelands (Regular season only)
- Mentawai Government’s 10% Hotel tax is included in your daily price
What is not included:
- International flights to and from Padang
- Rp. 1,000,000 Mentawai Government Surfer Tax for 15 days surfing in Mentawai islands (about 75 USD)
- Luggage porter services
- Padang – Mentawai – Padang speedboat transfer ($500 USD)
- Any transport aside from airport – hotel – harbor
- Alcoholic drinks and canned beverages
- Food and hotel accommodation while staying in Padang
Overview of Waves by Month
– February and March is a great time of year for surfers looking for “fun-sized” wave heights and a lack of crowds. This time of year is characterized by nice weather as well and we often surf Burgerworld which needs a small swell to break properly, Nipussi which is a wave magnet, and even Bankvaults. The waves around Wavepark are likely to be on the small side but any pulse from the south and you are surfing alone at A-Frames, 4 Bobs, and even at a few reef passes at the bottom of our island which are receptive to swell. Overall, wind conditions are generally very light with faint north winds in the morning followed by variable conditions the rest of the day. Our average guest at this time of year is looking to escape a cold winter somewhere and with the staff eager to start off the year they are excited to get the year started as well!
– April is when the southern Indian Ocean really starts to kick into gear! At this time of year we typically see phenomenal weather with an abundance of sunny, cloudless, hot days and sublime weather conditions. Swells at this time favor a more southerly direction which is great news for our best right-hand option Rifles with rights seeing more traffic than lefts. Wave heights can range from the “fun-sized” zone all the way up to “downright scary” but it’s mostly clean, user-friendly fun. This month still has light northerly winds in the morning followed by variable winds the rest of the day. It has generally light crowds at the start of the month increasing slightly after Easter. April is one of our personal favorite times to be on the island!
– May is considered the “prime” month of the year at Wavepark and in the Mentawai Islands in general. May churns out the biggest waves of the year with the cleanest conditions and as a result attracts good surfers looking for big barrels. May also sees the most traffic but with the global economy as it is the amount of boats have dropped significantly and the sheer amount of swell in the water tends to spread everyone out. May is awesome but if you are looking to find an open date in May with us you’ll need to plan far in advance!
– June is a very close second to May in terms of overall wave size and quality. It is a popular month at Wavepark as well but usually delivers swell after swell and as many waves as anyone can handle! The weather in June sees a subtle shift and this time of year expect variable conditions and even a slight edge to southeast trade winds which are better for the lefts. – June is another month where it’s good to book far in advance but if you’re able to come before June 5th airline tickets are generally more affordable!
– July gets a ton of swell and is rarely under head-high. For some reason or another we usually see an above average number of good days at Rifles and Bankvaults during July as well. The weather in July has turned towards an array of thunderstorm activity but this results in variable wind conditions! These kind of conditions open up a new spot everyday and make the art of local knowledge come into play that much more. We usually have the same groups travel in July year after year and it’s great to see the same, friendly faces over and over!
– August sees the thunderstorms of July being replaced by a southeast wind trade pattern ideal for the lefts! This time of the year coincides with large southwest swells originating under the coast of South Africa and as we see this year especially, once the storm factory gets underway it pumps until October. This year we have had plenty of swell with the Indian Ocean in a terrific wave generating pattern. August is popular with our New Zealand and Australian friends who are in the middle of their winter and looking to score some warm water waves and go home with a nice tan.
– September in the Mentawai Islands is our last true, high season surf month. If you’ve seen the movie “September Sessions” you’ll be able to see first-hand how good it can get (and from what we’ve heard the trip was actually filmed mostly in October but October doesn’t rhyme with “Sessions!”). September sees the return of thunderstorm activity, similar to July, and there are still plenty of big powerful storms producing big, powerful waves. The crowds are thinning out from summer and airline ticket prices are slightly lower. At this time we see a lot of traveling professionals who’s kids have gone back to school and are traveling with a group of friends. The waves can be absolutely amazing in September, you should be able to get a spot in September if you reserve a space before January.
– October is marked by two distinct phases. The beginning of October usually has great waves but as we transition into the end of October and into November the thunderstorms grow increasingly active and we head into our rainy season. At anytime from October through February we can have great windows of good surf and weather, it’s just during this time the Southern Hemisphere summer is taking over and the swell factory grinds to a predictable halt. Surfers that visit us during this time are looking for “fun-sized” waves again, no crowds, and a cool spot to go with their friends.
The remarkable thing about the Mentawai islands is even on what we would consider our worst day it is still better than 90% of other surf destinations on their good days! There is always a good wave breaking over our local reefs and wave for wave we like to think that a trip to Kandui is unmatched in the entire world. You can go to other places and not score surf but trip after trip we are so stoked to hear how so many people have “the wave of their lives” and how cool it is to be able to surf all day everyday at Wavepark! Most of our guests are focused in the early April to early October window; however, if you are interested in smaller crowds, more manageable sized surf, and the same Wavepark experience we highly suggest considering a trip in October, November, February, or March.
WavePark has 5 private beach front bungalows designed and built using a combination of local and modern materials. There is also an additional “Hideaways House” with 2 bedrooms and shared bathroom, great for families.
The bungalows are complete with:
- Indoor/outdoor bathroom en-suite, complete with a double vanity and a western-style toilet
- Couple’s shower with hot/cold rainwater complete with liquid body wash and shampoo
- Bath towels are supplied and refreshed by housekeeping
- Outdoor day beds on the front verandah and chaise lounges on the beach for each bungalow
- 220v electrical outlets and fans for each bed available 24/7
- In-room sound system and security safe
- Luggage and board bag storage
- Daily laundry service available
- Personal wardrobe, hangers, umbrella and flashlight for each guest
The bungalows are designed to ideally accommodate a couple or two single travellers. However, the bed setup is flexible and can comfortably accommodate a family of 4: two in a private bedroom, and 2 in a shared living room space. Theye can accommodate 5 per bungalow upon special request.
All of the materials used during construction are from the Mentawai islands except the screws, bolts, nails and concrete used for the foundations and joining. All labor to build our facilities was from our partners and their families, helping to keep the expenditures and revenue streams as local as possible.
Bar and Restaurant
The bar and restaurant looks out over the bay, and from the front steps you can see Hideaways breaking at the end of the bay, just a 10 minute walk from where you’re sitting.
They offer a set resort menu which varies according to local supplies of fish, crab, shrimp and other delicacies. The menu consists of a curated mix of Western and Asian dishes. They’re constantly refining our menu with the input from our visiting western chef friends, and they get fresh supplies once a week from the mainland, delivered on ice from our office staff there.
With 3 meals a day served up hot in the dining room, the guests usually eat together, with either plated or home-style service from our kitchen staff. We cater to special dietary needs including vegan, vegetarian and allergy-conscious choices. We aim to give you the maximum enjoyment of your meals during your visit, and especially gear our menu towards healthy choices. They understand what it takes to keep a body on high energy and hydrated throughout the day. They always offer on-hand cold water, iced tea, ginger/lemongrass homebrew, and fruit/herbal teas. Fresh coconuts are also available upon request.
WavePark Bar will always be the first and best-stocked bar in the Mentawais. With a dedicated bartender ready to serve your cold beverages, you’re ready to watch the sunset over our beautiful bay. Once it is dark, enjoy reliving the day’s action on the big screen with photos taken by our full-time photographer, showing everybody’s triumphs and tragedies almost life-sized in the lounge of the bar. Bring your own duty free if you wish, you only need to pay for corkage and mixers to get your personal cocktail mixed everytime.
There’s a lot more to WavePark than surfing. Try hopping on one of our daily fishing excursions, snorkeling in a gin-clear lagoon, standup paddle boarding, kayaking or one of the many other activities we offer at our tropical island paradise. When you need to recharge, visit our on-site masseuse or spend an afternoon swimming and relaxing on our pristine white sand beaches. Here is a short list of their most popular activities:
- Pool Table
- Frisbee Golf
- Music Studio
- Ping Pong
- Visit a Local Village
- Yoga (No instructor on site)
The first two hours are complimentary. Use thereafter is charged at Rp. 5,000 / minute ($0.40 USD). The charges for internet max out at Rp. 700,000 ($50 USD), so that is the most you will pay for as much internet as you want to use. If you are the only person online, our connection is fast enough to video chat, but the more people online the slower it gets.
The local climate is considered tropical, hot, and humid with a temperature range between 70 – 90 degrees Fahrenheit or 21 – 32 degrees Celsius. The water temperature is always around 80 degrees (27 degrees Celsius) no matter what time of year you visit. The local landscape is dense, tropical forest with four main islands and dozens of auxiliary islands – sprinkled with a few main coastal villages throughout. The dry season in this area spans from February to September and the wet season typically occurs between October – January. At any time of the year however expect regular rainfall in short intervals – heavy at times. Local winds surrounding the resort are variable throughout most of the year but occasionally go through intermittent periods of storminess, called “Badai’s”. WavePark lies exactly 1 degree below the Equator and as a result is not influenced by the steady easterly trade winds often associated with the rest of Indonesia – that’s what makes this area so unique!
Your trip to the Mentawai Islands should be the best experience possible. The very nature of the way in which waves break in the Mentawai’s lends itself to an even higher degree of order and cooperation. Follow these rules and everyone will have a better session, especially you. Remember, you’re on vacation!
1. Don’t think you own the place.
When you arrive at a new spot and there is already a group surfing the worst thing you can do is to send out every surfer on your boat in an all out assault. It’s just not cool. A good surf guide will show you how to strike a perfect balance by sending out a few surfers at a time and making the transition as subtle as possible.
2. Take your turn.
The majority of waves in the Mentawai’s break like classic point breaks. The most discouraging thing in the world is to have some clown paddling past you after every wave. For this rule, think assembly line, take your turn, go in order, and everyone will get their fair share of waves.
3. Hands up if you don’t want it.
When it’s your turn and you’re waiting for the set of the day it always helps to let other people know your intentions. Most people will expect that you’re going to be going on the next decent wave that comes through but by no means does that mean you have to go. When a wave is approaching that you are not interested in all you have to do is hold both of your hands up and out of the water to send a clear message to everyone that you’re not going. This will eliminate any ambiguity and there will definitely be more waves to go around and a clear line of communication in the water.
4. Let it go.
It sucks to get burned on a small, weak day so you can imagine how much worse it is on a big, scary day. If you see someone paddling for a wave, even if they look like they aren’t going to catch it, let it go. Getting stuffed on a double overhead grinder with the reef lurking a few feet below the surface and the possibility of getting stuck inside isn’t worth the potential conflict.
5. Pick me up.
When you’re ready to get picked up all you have to do is wave your board in the air from the channel. If there is someone injured, everyone in the line-up should wave their boards at the same time.
Here’s a sample itinerary for an 8 night visit:
Day 1: A WavePark guide picks you up at the airport and takes you to your Padang hotel in air-conditioned comfort. See the sights in Padang, and get some rest before you embark on your trip to paradise.
Day 2: We’ll pick you up at the hotel and take you to our private speedboat for the trip to WavePark’s private Mentawai island. When you arrive, we’ll check you into your beachfront bungalow and give you an orientation of the island over lunch and a fresh coconut from the plantation.
Day 3: Today you wake up in secluded paradise. Enjoy a hot breakfast made to order including fresh tropical fruits, homemade granola, french toast, eggs cooked anyway you like with bacon and toast, or the famous “3 tigers” omelette. Occasional breakfast “specials” are available too like eggs florentine/benedict, Skinny McMuffin, and black-rice porridge. WavePark also makes espresso coffees for an extra boost, or enjoy our sumatran coffee plunger and indonesian tea station, available 24/7.
Here for adrenaline? Grab your gear and hop on the speedboat to surf the waves you came to Mentawai for. Or, stay on the island and surf our local wave called hideaways, right out front. Either way you will have a speedboat, a personal guide making the calls, drinks and snacks all ready to keep you in the water surfing the best sessions we can find. At sunset, join the other guests for a cold beer or cocktail from our fully stocked bar while you watch the sun set. Once it’s dark, you can relive the day’s best action on a large screen with video, photographs and drone shots captured by our professional photographer team.
Day 4: Try your hand at fishing. We’ll take you out to the reef with a cooler of beer and sodas, and trawl for trevali, dog-toothed tuna, trevali, spanish mackerel and more.
Days 5-8: For each day of the trip, choose your own adventure. You can spend all day every day surfing, and not run out of new waves to visit. When you take a day to relax and unwind, make an appointment with our on-site masseuse. Here on a family vacation? Enjoying the beach together and partake in any of our family-friendly activities like snorkeling and kayaking.
Day 9: We’ll be sad to see you go, but hope you’ll become one of our guests that come back every year. Our speedboat will take you back to Padang, where you’ll stay another night before it’s time to board your flight back to the real world. You’ll have access to the professional photos taken during your stay so that you can relive your time at WavePark until your next visit.
WavePark Mentawai trip packages operate on a set schedule for arrivals and departures due to transport availability getting to and from Mentawai. Trips have minimum stays of 8 days in early/late season or 10 and 11 days in regular season. Contact us if you would like to inquire about a shorter or longer trip.
The trips vary in length and price depending on the season.
- In 2018, “Regular Season Rates” is from March 18 – November 2.
- Regular Season rates do not include a $500 per trip fee for private speedboat charter across the 180km channel separating Sumatra and Mentawai. The trip takes 4 hours or less, weather permitting.
- All other dates are considered “Early” or “Late” season.
- Channel transfers for Early and Late season are by public ferries and already included in the price.
Early and Late Season
8 Day Visit – $1,600 USD total
15 Day Visit – $2,800 USD total
22 Day Visit – $4,000 USD total
10 Day Visit – $2,450 USD total
11 Day Visit – $2,695 USD total
21 Day Visit – $5,145 USD total
When do I need to arrive in Padang?
You will need to arrive in Padang on the day before the trip starts.
Do I have to spend the night in Padang?
Yes, you will need to spend one night in Padang on your way to the island. This is mandatory. We can help recommend and book hotels for your night(s) in Padang.
What time does the transfer boat leave?
During regular season, the transfer boat is scheduled to depart at 7am the first day of the trip. During late or early season, the boat leaves at 8pm and you sleep in a cabin on the boat.
What time can I fly out of Padang?
For regular season, we recommend flying out after 6pm on the last day of the trip, or better yet, the following morning. For early and late season dates, you’ll need to spend a night in Padang at the end of your trip, and can fly out the following morning.
Are Padang-Resort transfers included?
No, the cost is $500 US for regular season trips.
Will someone pick me up at the airport / how do I get to the transfer boat?
Yes, airport pick up, airport-hotel-harbor transfers are complimentary. Our office in Padang takes care of you from the moment you step off the plane, until you go home again.
How many guests does the resort take?
They take 12 surfers per trip, but can accommodate more for exclusive island bookings.
Do you have wifi?
Yes. The first two hours are complimentary. Use thereafter is charged at Rp. 5,000 / minute ($0.40 USD). The charges for internet max out at Rp. 700,000 ($50 USD), so that is the most you will pay for as much internet as you want to use. If you are the only person online, our connection is fast enough to video chat, but the more people online the slower it gets.
Are there waves for intermediate/average ability surfers?
Yes, we’re lucky enough to be in a wave rich area – something for everyone.